In light of recent events, we have extended the deadline until April 15th and are now accepting entries digitally. Please email your submission to email@example.com
If you’ve been looking for a way to break into the design industry, this might be the perfect opportunity
We know that the routes into the design world are not open to everyone; that the industry is not as diverse as the nation and that there is work to be done on getting a good representation of the country into creative fields.
So we are excited to be partnering with Habitat for an inclusivity initiative, opening doors to everyone. If you have a bright idea for a piece of furniture, some lighting or textiles, now is the chance to have it created, sold and be paid fairly for your work by Habitat, one of the UK’s leading retailers of contemporary design.
In our exclusive competition, our three winners will get the unique opportunity to
- Work with Habitat to turn your idea into a real product sold in store and online
- Be mentored by Livingetc and Habitat, a unique opportunity to work in the design industry
- Be paid fairly for your work
- Take the first steps into what could be the start of an exciting new career
We’re looking to champion new talent: people who have never had their work put into production before and who have the potential to become the next big stars of our industry. Three winners will get to work closely with Habitat and develop their submissions into real-life designs. They will see their pieces make it into store, be offered mentorship by Livingetc, Habitat and relevant designers from our networks and have this unique opportunity to learn and develop… all while being paid an industry standard fee for their idea.
We want to help redress the balance by making design a more democratic field, rewarding ideas over privilege and ensuring that this is truly open to all. Good luck!
HOW TO ENTER
Please print off this entry form, fill it out and attach line drawings, coloured drawings, sketches or computer-aided designs (CAD) of your design before posting to Livingetc Inclusivity, 1st Floor, TI Media, 161 Marsh Wall, London E14 9AP
Entries must be received by midnight on 31 March 2020, and finalists will be expected to come to the judging day in London on an agreed date. Full terms and conditions below.
Terms and conditions
1. By submitting an entry, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and the Standard Competition Terms available at www.ti-media.com/standard-competition-terms.
2. This competition is in partnership with Habitat.
3. Nine finalists will be chosen from which there will be three winner(s) of this competition. The three (3) winners will have their design manufactured as a product made and sold by Habitat.
4. Each winner will be paid a design fee by Habitat to be determined between the winner and Habitat.
5. Habitat may adapt details/elements of the designs for manufacturing, to ensure commerciality and meet cost effective minimum order quantities
6. Habitat and Living Etc will offer a 6 month mentoring scheme to the three winners, this will be one to one and via Skype or phone for a maximum of one hour per month for 6 months.
7. Entries must be received by midnight 31 March 2020.
8. Applicants must be UK residents aged over 18 as at 1 October 2019. No purchase necessary.
9. Entries must be made directly by the person entering this competition and according to the instructions in these Terms and Conditions and promotional materials.
10. The design categories are furniture, lighting or textiles and should be supplied as either line drawings, coloured drawings, sketches or using computer-aided design (CAD).
11. Entries must be supplied on white A3 card or paper and attached to the coupon along with no more than 500 words describing your design, the design dimensions, why it should be made and confirming what materials would be used, along with a bio of yourself.
12. The design must be a new and exclusive design which has not been manufactured commercially before.
13. This competition is open to new and would be designers who have never had any concepts accepted or products commercially produced or sold.
14. Entrants must not have been employed for financial gain with any furniture design or other/homeware design company.
15. This competition is open to individuals only, you must work alone and not as part of a team in creating the design.
16. You may enter more than once with different product designs.
17. Submissions (including any images of designs or prototypes) must not be published by individuals or third parties prior to the announcement of the winners. Any breach of this rule will result in exclusion from the competition.
18. Entries will not be returned.
19. The winner’s entries may be used as part of an exhibition at a later stage
20. This competition is running concurrently in print in LivingEtc November issues and online at Livingetc.co.uk.
21. A short list of nine finalists will be invited to London to present their ideas to a panel of five industry experts, from Habitat, Livingetc and three independent judges (the “judging panel”). Travel and incidental expenses are not included in the prize.
22. The three winners will be selected by the judging panel, who will judge the competition entries based on the following terms: – that the design is viable to be produced for retail, that it will appeal to the Habitat customer, that it is cost efficient, that a minimum order quantity can be produced, that it is new to market. The judges’ decision is final, there is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable, and no part or parts of the prize may be submitted for others.
23. Winners may be required to enter into an agreement directly with Habitat for the production of their design.
24. TI Media Limited cannot be held responsible for any entries that go missing in the post.