You only need to pop onto Pinterest to see the rising popularity in high-end bathroom and kitchen features – like matte black taps, gold fixtures, and granite sinks to name a few. How to clean modern kitchen features can be more delicate than you may think.
Indeed, did you know that improper cleaning of these trend-led features could lead to permanent damage?
See Also:Cool Kitchen Storage Ideas
Luckily, bathroom and kitchen specialists Tap Warehouse have created the ultimate cleaning guide for these stylish features. And, best of all, you only need natural ingredients to carry out each of the hacks.
Discover how to clean kitchen features that are design-led below:
1. GET GOLD FIXTURES GLEAMING
Many of us are wanting to add a touch of glamour to our homes, with Tap Warehouse’s website witnessing a 28% increase in the number of searches for ‘gold taps' in the past year alone.
However, did you know that strong chemical-based cleaners can cause irreparable damage on gold taps? That’s why you should only use natural products.
Read Also:Our Edit Of The Best Brass Taps
How to clean gold taps:
- Create a homemade mixture of 25% white vinegar and 75% water.
- Dip a microfibre cloth in this solution before draping the wet cloth over the fixture. Leave it for approximately 15 minutes.
- Repeat this as many as times as required until the fixture is clean. (Make sure to keep adding the solution to the microfibre cloth.)
- Once clean, rinse the taps with clean water to get rid of the mixture before buffing dry with a clean microfibre cloth.
To maintain the sparkling clean look, you should wipe down the gold fixtures after every use (or at the end of the day) with a microfibre cloth soaked in water. Finally, buff them dry with a clean cloth. This will stop residue from building up on the taps.
Read Also:Wood Kitchen Ideas
2. SPRUCE UP YOUR MATTE BLACK TAPS
We're all going a little bonkers for matte black taps, with searches on Tap Warehouse’s site increasing by 45% in the past year.
Using the wrong chemical-based cleaner can permanently damage them. Not only will it break down the coating and cause discolouration, but it will enable scratches to occur more easily.
To clean them properly, all you need are two products: a soft sponge/cloth and warm water.
How to clean matte black taps:
- Drench your soft cloth or sponge in warm water.
- Gently clean your taps in circular motion - ensuring you’re not too abrasive.
- After a while, you may see some marks from the o-ring at the base of the tap. Don’t be alarmed - this is completely normal, and can be removed with warm, soapy water.
3. MAKE YOUR GRANITE SINK SPARKLE
In the past year, Tap Warehouse has seen a 45% increase in searches for ‘granite sinks’. However, whilst granite sinks are known for their durability in comparison to stainless steel sinks, they’re still susceptible to problems caused through improper cleaning – such as permanent damage or discolouration.
With the average granite sink costing £300, you should ensure you take good care of it, or you may find yourself throwing money down the sink (literally).
Read Also:Striking And Stylish White Kitchen Ideas
How to clean a granite sink:
- Add a mild dish soap and warm water to a soft cloth. You can just do this under the tap - there is no need for a bowl.
- Once you’ve got a soapy mix, use the soft cloth to wipe down your sink after each use. This is the best way of maintaining a sink as regular cleaning prevents the need to do a deep clean.
- To keep your sink in sparkly condition, you could even wipe the sink dry after each use. Make sure to remove the wet cloth from the sink as this will help to stop watermarks and limescale from appearing.
- If you need to perform a deep clean due to deep stains - use a homemade mixture of baking soda or white vinegar (either is good, just make sure it’s a small amount) and combine it with water. Add this mixture to a soft cloth or a brush with soft bristles to tackle the harder stains.