For style leaders and design lovers.
Thank you for signing up to LivingEtc. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
While Porto’s charm has enticed visitors for centuries, the city’s vacation homes have never felt quite so fashionable. Its creative streets are a maze of port, pastéis de natas, and pastel-infused properties – which are increasingly sought-after by the most stylish of travelers.
Recent sales have seen exclusive modern homes sell for millions of euros, but as the craving for escapism deepens, we have a feeling Portugal’s second city will remain as the first location on everybody’s wishlist.
According to Engel & Völkers, 60 percent of all real estate transactions in Porto can be attributed to Portuguese clients, while international buyers make up the remaining 40 percent. Though, after browsing the market, it’s easy to see its allure. These are three of the chicest properties currently available.
1. Ultra-contemporary villa in Foz do Douro
Listed at €3.53/ $4.2 million, this villa in affluent Foz do Douro is a stylish sanctuary amid an equally fashionable postcode. The home has five bedrooms, a monochromatic living space, and a gourmet kitchen, whose sleek cabinets are fueling our modern kitchen ideas.
The villa also boasts an elevator, swimming pool, and landscaped garden that is crowned with the terrace pictured above. It’s a soothing utopia on Porto’s sandy shoreline – but as a warning – you would never want to leave. More details are available here.
2. Rattan-kissed apartment in Foz do Douro
An alternative to a modern home on the fringe of the Atlantic? A rustic apartment – that in all its natural allure – has certainly not sacrificed its style. The apartment, which is listed for €3.5/$4.1 million, draws from its architectural assets – from its statement stone walls to the elegant curved windows – to exhibit a quintessentially Portuguese haven.
Our favorite home decor ideas include the 70’s inspired rattan chair and circular coffee table that would inevitably play host to a plate of pastéis de natas and a few glasses of the local wine. The listing agents have more information here.
3. Maximalist home in Aldoar
For elegant living room ideas from the most in-demand location of the moment, this eclectic home in Aldoar is a perfect place to start. Listed for €2.9/3.4 million, this grand property features six en-suite bedrooms, two kitchens, and a multitude of living rooms that ooze a maximalist aesthetic.
Yes, if Abigail Ahern were to holiday in Porto, we expect her hangout would look quite like this. The property also includes a verdant garden that acts as a therapeutic space among the leafy municipality. Engel & Völkers have more detail here.
We’ll race you to Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport.
The Livingetc Newsletter
For style leaders and design lovers.
Megan is the News and Trends Editor at Homes & Gardens. She first joined Future Plc as a News Writer across their interiors titles, including Livingetc and Real Homes. As the News Editor, she often focuses on emerging microtrends, well-being stories, and celebrity-focused pieces.
Before joining Future, Megan worked as a News Explainer at The Telegraph, following her MA in International Journalism at the University of Leeds. During her BA in English Literature and Creative Writing, she gained writing experience in the US whilst studying in New York. Megan also focused on travel writing during her time living in Paris, where she produced content for a French travel site.
The 12 best dessert plates - finish off your hosting in style
The 12 best dessert plates help to cap the evening with a serving of something truly stylish, offering not just a sweet treat but a visual one, too
By Jacky Parker Published
The 6 best trees with fall color – landscapers pick the most beautiful for your yard
With their fiery shades and leafy lovelines, landscapers share the best trees with fall color that will create a stunning focal point in any outdoor space
By Sarah Wilson Published